Pages

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Foot Surgery and a Day of Rest

Yesterday I had my foot surgery to fix the fracture in my 5th metatarsal.  (Bone from your toes to your ankle). I woke up anxious and had a queezy stomach.  Zach was so stressed out wondering how I was going to do ANYTHING with recovering from my herniated disc back surgery and the recovery from my foot.  He wears his emotions on his sleeve for sure.  It was only stressing me out more, feeling like he wasn't ready to support me through this endeavor.  Where in actuality he was just so worried about me, not knowing what the next 2 wells had in store for me.  I LOVE HIM!
We had to be at the hospital at 7:30. After checking in, Dr. Rigby (foot surgeon) and Dr.  Robinson (Anesthesiologist) came to visit with us prior to surgery.  I KNOW that Zach had a lot of stress relief after talking with both of them.  Dr. Robinson did a great job with my anesthesia.  I was so sick after general anesthesia from my back,  I knew I didn't want to go through that again.  I had a knee block and light sedation. I didn't feel a thing and woke up nausea free.  YES! We have been so impressed with Dr. Rigby.  He was so nice to call me at home last night and see how I was doing. I would recommend him to anyone.
In post op I found it was much easier to use a walker to get short distances than crutches. The crutches hurt my back way to much.  So my modes of transport around the house are my fancy walker equipped with tennis balls,  and my walk about knee scooter equipped with black wire basket.  My kids are loving all my gadgets.  Lyndee said yesterday while playing with the walker, "Look I'm an old granny.  Look I'm April Checketts! " Ha, Ha she thinks she is so funny. However it made me laugh, so I guess she really is.
I've had great help. My mom and mother-in-law watched my kids yesterday and got them everywhere they needed to be.  Today they are at a neighbors house and school leaving me to a very quiet house that I am thoroughly enjoying.  Don't get me wrong I love having my kiddos and hubby home, but it is not often I have a quiet house to myself.
Getting them all ready for pick up this morning was a nightmare.  Someone somewhere was crying or telling me NO repeatedly all morning. We managed and I've checked in with the neighbor and they are doing great.  Thank you Stacey!
Our ward had been so good to bring in dinner.  Last night we had Kneaders for dinner.  Thank you Bro.  & Sister Booth.  I had leftovers for lunch.  We'll have dinner the next 2 nights.
I am hoping to make it to a missionary homecoming on Sunday.  We'll see.  I have had no pain since surgery,  Thank goodness. I've just used ibuprofen and half a Percocet last night before bed for when that block wore off. I slept great and thus far have had no problems.  (Knocking on wood as I type this). I don't want any more trials to test OUR patience right now. (More Zach's than mine). Although I would rather go through this than watch my kids go through it.  For sure.  I hate when they are hurt and sick and I can't do a dang thing about it. 
God is good, and I have been blessed for sure. I've had great recoveries.  I know we all have trials in our lives that we must go through.  These ones are more Zach's than mine, weirdly I know. It's a physical trial for me and a mental/emotional trial for him. He had had to take on so much more around the house and with the kids, that he gets overwhelmed easily. Not to mention he's getting his real estate business up and running at the same time. He's a busy man.  I know I would be just as stressed if it were the other way around, so I'm not judging. He had been great to help me along with anything.  He even said after my back surgery that it was nice to be able to have the opportunity to serve me.  Oh,  I love him! 

No comments:

Post a Comment