Pages

Monday, June 23, 2014

Oregon Trip - Oregon / Cape Blanco Lighthouse

June 9, 2014

We left Crescent City, and within 15 min we reached Oregon.  Our long anticipated  trip to Oregon and we finally made it, well to Oregon, but we had 6 hours up the coast to the "Beach House".


 At the California/Oregon Border I taught Alex how to jump states.  He thought it was so cool to to be in 2 different states at one time.

Cape Blanco Lighthouse
We stopped at another lighthouse.  This one is working and it was the only one that you could actually go up inside the tower.  Zach had been driving and I was in the back seat. We had just drove on some winding roads.  When we got there I opened the sliding door and bailed out before I lost it.  I hate that I get car sick so easy.  I know Zach hates it even more.  Sorry love.  Thanks for putting up with me.

I couldn't believe the wind here.  Zach could literally let go of Jayden's stroller and the wind was pushing it up the cement hill.  It took my breath away.  I think I was really white in color, because Janet asked me if I was okay as soon as we stepped into the gift shop.  The gentleman at the gift shop described the wind as, "Just a lite Gale".  We had no idea what that meant until we read the wind book up in the lighthouse.  It was 40 mile/hr winds.  

Inside the Lighthouse, I had to talk Alex into going up to the top.  He is deathly afraid of heights, and since he could see down, even though he was on a staircase with a rail, he was so, so nervous.  He and Jayden stayed at the bottom with Janet and Debbie, while Zach and I took the girls up.
 This is the huge light up in top.  I always though it was a large bulb that flashed on and off.  Actually it is this big glass light that rotates in circles, and when your eyes meet up exactly with one of the 6 sides you see the light.  It never actually flashes.
 Madi was a little nervous to be up so high.  She didn't want to stay up very long.
 I made her stay as long as possible because the view was amazing.  This was the tallest light house on the oregon coast and because of that the light can be seen 22 miles out to see.  This is the horizon (Curvature of the earth).  Something cool we never knew.



After we got down I  talked Alex into going up with Aunt Debbie.  I knew he would do better without Zach and I with him to cry to.  Grandma Janet said he was just shaking when he was up top, but he said he thought it was pretty cool. I knew he would like it, and I didn't want him to miss out.
Panoramic View from up top the lighthouse.

These are the large barrels that they kept the fuel in when the lighthouse was first built.  

 A cool view from the bottom of the staircase.

We learned so much about lighthouses, and how they worked and operated today, and back when they were first built.  We really did enjoy it.  Oh, it took 200,000 bricks (Which they made by hand) to build this lighthouse.  (Just a little extra info.)
At the gift shop we bought our Cape Blanco Lighthouse magnet, and Aunt Debbie bought us a figurine of the lighthouse for our anniversary.  She's too nice, and I love it.
Before we left, of course Alex and Madi needed to go the bathroom.  I took Alex over to the weeds, which was easy and he left his butt clothed.  Madi, on the other hand . . . I pulled her pants down and was getting ready to lift her feet up, but because of the cold wind, she couldn't hold it and peed all over herself.  I was so upset, and I had to practically unpack the back of the van to get to her suitcase.  I was upset, but looking back on it, I shouldn't have been.  We cleaned her up, and I asked Zach if I could drive since I had gotten woozy.  Off we went.  What's next . . . Lunch. Yes.





No comments:

Post a Comment